About Us

Polk Elementary School is an extraordinary elementary school with a long history of excellence. Located in west El Paso on the corner of Westwind and Belvidere, Polk opened its doors in 1981 and currently serves 600 students from pre- kindergarten through fifth grade. Our staff of 60 includes a faculty of 30 highly qualified homeroom teachers, one instructional coach, one counselor, and two administrators. We offer a traditional elementary program, a dual-language program, and gifted and talented services in all grades. We have been designated as a TEA Exemplary School since 2005.

                                          

Our school is named after Hibbard Glenn Polk, one of El Paso's most loved and respected educators. Mr. Polk was born on September 16, 1916. Hibbard Polk was a teacher, counselor, principal, and school administrator. He retired from the El Paso Independent School District in June 1981 after serving three years as the deputy superintendent of the district and with 41 years of service. As a professional educator, Mr. Polk gave countless hours of volunteer service in and around El Paso. His volunteer hours each week often equaled his paid professional hours of employment. By carrying his name, Hibbard G. Polk Elementary school serves as an inspiration to present and future generations of El Paso children.

                                                         

                                                       Hibbard G. Polk